Amanda-Users

RE: Amanda only backup 1st tape in correct size???Help????

2005-09-12 01:48:39
Subject: RE: Amanda only backup 1st tape in correct size???Help????
From: Yung Le <YungL AT chw.edu DOT au>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:20:53 +1000
Hi,
What I understand is taper.c program read configuration of tapetype from
amanda.conf
If you set the length of tape is 200GB then taper limits the data copied to
tape less than or equal 200GB. I set the length is 400GB that why the first
tape can keep upto 400GB. I test this definition many times and it works
well. Day by day my data grow up (Now nearly 900GB). And it jump to second
tape. When second tape full it jump to third. Now I reconk second tape and
so forth only backup to a native of LTO2 (200GB).
With 900GB of data I setup 3 tapes to write.
When first tape reach 330GB there is 100GB file to write so it exceed 400GB.
That why it jump to tape 000021.
When 2nd tape write to a file exceed 200GB it jump to 3rd one (000022).
I think that is the bug in taper program which does not clear a size buffer

Yung

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:45:19AM +1000, Yung Le wrote:
> Hi,
> I am backup the systems using amanda version 2.4.4p2 with tape array
> DELL Power Vault 132T LTO2 hardware compress (24 tapes inside).
>
> The configure of LTO using
> define tapetype LTO2 {
>     comment "LTO2 tape drives"
>     length 406122 mbytes        # 400 Gig tapes
>     filemark 9721 kbytes
>     speed 2272 kbytes           # 1.5 Mb/s
> }
>
> But when I backup. Only first tape can backup 400GB. The rest of tapes
> backup only 200GB.
> Label        Time      Size      %    Nb
>   000020      13:45  336315.1   83.1   114
>   000021       2:35  158061.3   38.9     8
>   000022       2:21  191737.2   47.2     8
>
> Do you know how to setup in config file let amanda can backup all
> tapes up to 400GB? Is it bug in software? Any body has the sam problem
> with me? Regards,
> Yung

To my recollection LTO-2 has a native capacity of 200GB,
not 400GB.  Did you run amtapetype and have it report
a capacity of 400GB.  Or are you just believing the manufacturer's
literature that you will be able to squeeze 400GB onto their 200GB tapes?

Are you using the tape drives compressor?
Or are you using software compression?
Or perhaps both?

If both, don't expect your tape drive to
compress the data any further.  Be pleased
if it does, but don't expect it.

How much of your actual disk data do those
336, 158, and 192GB represent?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)