Amanda-Users

Re: server / lev 0 FAILED [/bin/tar returned 2] - server / lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

2005-06-23 13:54:50
Subject: Re: server / lev 0 FAILED [/bin/tar returned 2] - server / lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:44:40 -0500
--On Thursday, June 23, 2005 12:01:05 -0400 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 04:39:02PM +0100, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator
> wrote:
>> Hi PB
>>
>> I reverted back to ./var, ./tmp as you So suggested and added ./media to
>> the exclude list.
>>
>> I run amdump and It looks like it's working accordingly as per the Dump
>> Summary.
>
> Starting to look good.
>
> One thing though, as Paul noted, while there are lots of
> temporary files and other fluff under /var, there are also
> lots of important things like system and security log files.
>
> You may wish to remove ./var from your exclude list and
> add in other subdirectories.  Things that come to mind
> and can be seen in your report are:
>
>       ./var/tmp
>       ./var/spool/postfix
>       ./var/spool/cups        # maybe ./var/spool instead

Before excluding all of /var/spool. make sure you really
don't want anything there.  Depending on your system,
you may be skipping backups of email and your crontabs,
among other things.
   It's generally good to do an 'ls -lR' of any directories you
are thinking of excluding to make sure that it doesn't have
any unexpected inhabitants.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673