Amanda-Users

Re: I am correctly concluding I need only a tapecycle of 10 tapes - Using 10 tapes for fortnightly backup scheme.

2005-06-15 12:00:01
Subject: Re: I am correctly concluding I need only a tapecycle of 10 tapes - Using 10 tapes for fortnightly backup scheme.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:50:40 -0400
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 01:29:29PM +0100, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator
wrote:
> Hi again
>
> >From what I gathered I will more than likely go with labelling 22 tapes
> for 2 week cycle not including weekends and 12 DAT DDS-4  to pull out at
> the end on the month.
>
> When I pull the monthly tape i.e daily14 out can I just label a
> replacement tape daily14 as per the pulled tape or must I use a new
> name.
>

>From earlier:

= Now, if you mean to use the same label as the one
= pulled, think twice.  Amanda keeps indexes of what
= is on a tape.  If you use the same label as the
= pulled tape, then you will soon lose the index
= for the pulled tape (when the new tape is used).
=
= Instead, when you pull a tape, mark it a "no-reuse".
= The index will be retained.  But the new tape will
= need to have a different label.

If the features of having an index of the tape contents
are of no concern for you on your monthly pulled tapes,
then you could use the same tape label (I think) with
no problems.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)