Amanda-Users

Re: I am correctly concluding I need only a tapecycle of 10 tapes - Using 10 tapes for fortnightly backup scheme.

2005-06-15 08:06:31
Subject: Re: I am correctly concluding I need only a tapecycle of 10 tapes - Using 10 tapes for fortnightly backup scheme.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:43:20 -0400
On Wednesday 15 June 2005 05:21, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator
wrote:
>Hi Again
>
>Would it be simplier to create a Monthly config for a monthly full
>backup that con exists with my Daily.
>If So is there and examples of this setup.
>
>Cheers

Essentially yes, with (IIRC, please check me on that, Jon) the
provisio that the monthly full is set to 'record no' in the dumptype
in order that it not effect the record keeping for the daily run
adversely.  The whole extra config should live in a seperate
directory, such as /usr/local/etc/amanda/monthly.  You'll have to
manage the tape loading schedule so that the tape you have labeled
for the monthly usage is loaded at the proper time, and that the
daily tape is not loaded.  You may, because of scheduleing snafu's
that will happen (the question isn't if, its when) want to have
seperate holding disk areas specified so that if the tape isn't
loaded, it can still do the backup and you can load the right tape
and amflush it later when you've discovered the error.

I do not do that here as its rather hard to remove a virtual tape when
I haven't a working tape drive.  I've found that a utility 200GB hard
drive with virtual tapes is for me, considerably more dependable than
DDS2 tapes and the drives that went with them ever were.  Had I been
willing to spend 5+ grand on a newer technology drive and its tapes,
that probably would not be true.  However, if I really had 5 grand to
spare, I'd upgrade my 88 Nissan 4wd pickup, red cancer is going to
keep me from getting it inspected one of these days, and at 201k
miles its now leaving small puddles of 5w30 on the driveway.  Old
farts (I'm 70) with limited incomes tend to think a bit more about
practical things. :-)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: