Amanda-Users

Re: GNUTAR exclude lists not working in Windows or Linux

2005-06-03 05:10:47
Subject: Re: GNUTAR exclude lists not working in Windows or Linux
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:53:28 -0400
On Thursday 02 June 2005 15:50, Joe Rhett wrote:

>> My amanda.conf shows that syntax, however my dumptypes that use
>> this option use it like this:
>>         exclude file "/amanda/excludes"
>
>Hm.  Mine says "exclude list", and according to the man page
>
>     exclude [ list|file ][[optional][ append ][ "string" ]+]
>          Default:  file.  There is two exclude list exclude file
>          and  exclude  list. With exclude file , the string is a
>          gnutar exclude expression.  With  exclude  list  ,  the
>          string  is  a file name on the client containing gnutar
>          exclude expression.
>
>Does yours work?  If so, perhaps it's a documentation problem?

Yes, mine works as intended, very nicely ignoreing about 2.4 GB worth
of FC3 iso's, which are then covered by an individual disklist entry
per iso involved.  This gives amanda a chance to spread the load and
balance the amount backed up per nightly run.

>> The contents of the above file:
>>
>> ./*.iso
>> ./FC3
>> ./FC3-SRPMS
>>
>> And it works, albeit in an all linux environment with tar-1.15 on
>> the server, and tar-1.13-25 on my one client.
>
>Does the server version of tar matter for excludes?

In terms of excludes, I do not know.  What I do know is that tar-1.13
is totally busted for other file format reasons, 1.13-19 and 1.13-25
work fine, as does 1.15. 1.14 was fairly shortlived as it apparently
broke a lot of stuff.

>> Can we have the output of a 'tar --version' on each of these
>> boxes?
>
>tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25

This is fine AFAIK.

[...]
>> Also, that line of the revelant dumptype that specifys the exclude
>> file, starting the lookup by consulting the disklist to get the
>> actual dumptype being used, and showing us a snip of that dumptype
>> please.
>
>I had supplied these in my original report, and in the latest report
> as well.

In my defense, I did want to see them as they existed most recently.

> They were removed from the quoted text.  Here it is
> again:
>
>disklist:
>
>client-host1         /                        user-tar

I don't think I've ever done this, I've always declared many more as
this gives amanda room to play, adjusting schedules to equalize the
amount of data backed up each night.  My disklist defines just short
of 50 entries, 20 some of which are subdirs of /.

I'm not saying thats the problem, but it does tend to make amanda's
schedueling into a nightmare.

You also have skipped over defineing whether or not its a local drive,
and the network interface.  Here is two of my disklist entries:
coyote /usr/games               coyote-tar      1       local
gene   /bin                     gene-tar        2       le0

wheer the 4th argument is the spindle number, set so that amanda won't
thrash the drives seek mechanism by atempting to access two different
file systems on that one drive.  The second line shows a different
spindle number, which amanda will then run in parallel.  The
local/le0 switch in the last column tells amanda which interface to
use when talking to a client.

I don't believe amanda is married to this hard specification and won't
work without it, but its still good practice.

>amanda.conf:
>
>define dumptype global {
>    index yes
>}
>
>define dumptype root-tar {
>    global
>    program "GNUTAR"
>    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
>    compress none
>    exclude list "/etc/exclude.gtar"
>    priority low
>}
>
>define dumptype user-tar {
>    root-tar
>    comment "user partitions dumped with tar"
>    priority medium
>}

Humm, user-tar includes root-tar, which includes global. And they seem
to be in the proper order (amanda cannot use an as yet unread
dumptype, eg anything included must have been read previously in
order to stack specs as you have done here (and so do I)  So this
looks good AFAICT.

I'd try changing the exclude 'list' above to 'file' just for grins.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: