Amanda-Users

Re: disk offline?

2005-06-02 12:12:36
Subject: Re: disk offline?
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Cameron Matheson <cmatheson3 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:00:57 +0200
Cameron Matheson wrote:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  devdb.tons /dev/ida/c0d0p2 lev 0 FAILED [disk
/dev/ida/c0d0p2 offline on
 devdb.tonservices.com?]
  gatorade.t /dev/sda6 lev 0 STRANGE

Ok, the whole /dev/ida/c0d0p2 thing is a word device i
will admit, but it's definitely not offline...

Does this setup pass amcheck?

Could you have a look in devdb.tons' /tmp/amanda/sendbackup.* file whether there's something suspicious going on? It's most probably either a typo or a permissions problem.

Are you using GNUTAR or DUMP? In case of GNUTAR, can you try giving the mountpoint instead of the device file, if my first suggestions don't help?

FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

/-- gatorade.t /dev/sda6 lev 0 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [gatorade.tonservices.com:/dev/sda6
level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/tar -f... -
sendbackup: info end
? gtar:
./ton/spool/doc_send/fax/oldstuff/064106020107:
Warning: Cannot st
at: No such file or directory
| gtar: ./tmp/.font-unix/fs-1: socket ignored
? gtar:
./ton/spool/doc_send/fax/oldstuff/064106020107/01.tif:
Warning: Ca
nnot stat: No such file or directory
| gtar: ./var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock: socket ignored
| Total bytes written: 11511255040 (11GB, 8.7MB/s)
sendbackup: size 11241460
sendbackup: end

ok, so i guess tar probably has problems w/ sockets?

Sockets get routinely ignored by tar, nothing to worry about. The `Cannot stat' errors in the spool directory are certainly harmless, just a file that disappeared between the moment tar constructed its list of files to backup, and the moment it wanted to actually read them.

(that isn't so big of a deal), what is a problem is
that it shouldn't even be backing up anything in /tmp/
or oldstuff (here's my exclude file):

./tmp/*
./proc/*
./dev/*
*oldstuff*
./mnt/*
./opt/naroot/*
./var/tmp/*
./var/www/*
./sys/*

there's another thread on the whole amanda ignoring
excludes going on right now, but it doesn't seem like
any definite conclusion has been reached.  is this a
bug, or do i just have a badly formed exclude file?

Actually, there is no known problem whatsoever with exclude lists. The other thread that you allude to, will most probably just debug the exclude file's syntax. Same thing for you, are you sure that your exclude file is correctly taken into account? Again, the files in /tmp/amanda/ on the client will tell you that.

You will notably find the complete command line that amanda uses for tar, in one of these files. It doesn't hurt to try that line and see whether it fails; most probably the solution will pop out immediately if you try that.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29