Amanda-Users

Re: "Wait for dumping" question

2005-05-24 03:55:13
Subject: Re: "Wait for dumping" question
From: Ryan Pagquil <rpagquil AT philonline DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 15:46:31 +0800
Ryan Pagquil wrote:

Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 02:23:21PM +0800, Ryan Pagquil wrote:
Guys,
Who will be the responsible for the dump when the amanda said that the host's status is "wait for dumping"?

If I understand correctly, you started a dump and while it was running
you ran amstatus.  The report from amstatus showed some DLEs "waiting
for dumping".

Probably totally normal.  If you had 1000 DLE's you would not want
them all dumping at the same time.  Something would overload.  So
amanda has several restraints on what DLE dumps when.  Max number
total running at the same time, max per host, max per spindle, ...
Plus there are priorities and other things that may affect when
a particular DLE gets dumped.  It is more important whether you
see it has been dumped when amdump has completed.
so it is normal amanda do this. btw, what does DLE stands for... another question, why does amstatus reports that some dumps are not successful and giving this reasons:

0 driver: (aborted:could not connect to data port: Connection timed out)(too many dumper retry)
    1 driver: (aborted:[request timeout])(too many dumper retry)

but i already configured the firewall to accept connections from 10080 and the ports i specified in configure time for udp and tcp. but when i tried to specify only one host to dump on my disklist no errors occured. if you need my amanda.conf i will post it just to see what is wrong with my configuration. could it be a timeout problem?

thanks in advance,

guys,
this is my amanda.conf. i posted it for you see if there is a problem with my configuration... my problem is that i got error in dumping.

org "test" mailto "rpagquil AT philonline DOT com"
dumpuser "amanda"
inparallel 40
dumporder "sssS"
taperalgo first displayunit "k" netusage 10000 Kbps
dumpcycle 7 days
runspercycle 7 tapecycle 10 tapes
bumpsize 20 Mb
bumppercent 20
bumpdays 1
bumpmult 4
etimeout 300
#etimeout -600
dtimeout 1800
ctimeout 150
tapebufs 20
runtapes 1
tapedev "/dev/nst0"
rawtapedev "/dev/st0"
maxdumpsize -1
tapetype Seagate-Tape
labelstr "^Test[0-9][0-9]*$"
amrecover_do_fsf yes
amrecover_check_label yes
amrecover_changer "/dev/null"
holdingdisk hdd1 {
       comment "holding disk"
       directory "/data/holdingdisk/"
       use 2000000Kb
}
autoflush no
infofile "/usr/local/amanda/var/testcurinfo"
logdir   "/usr/local/amanda/var/test/"
indexdir "/usr/local/amanda/var/test/index"

define tapetype Seagate-Tape {
   comment "Seagate tape drive"
   length 3956 mbytes
   filemark 0 kbytes
   speed 474 kps
}

define dumptype global {
   comment "Global definitions"
       maxdumps 5
       compress server fast

}

#normal dumptype full weekly
define dumptype normal-tar {
       global
       comment "backup amanda way"
       holdingdisk yes
       index yes
       priority high
       program "GNUTAR"
}

define dumptype normal-tar-smb {
       global
       comment "backup smb with exclusion"
       holdingdisk yes
       index yes
       priority high
       program "GNUTAR"
       exclude list "/usr/local/amanda-client/var/amanda/excluded"
}

define dumptype normal-tar-etc {
       global
       comment "backup etc with exclusion"
       holdingdisk yes
       index yes
       priority high
       program "GNUTAR"
       exclude list "/usr/local/amanda-client/var/amanda/excluded"
}

define dumptype normal-tar-bin {
       comment "backup /usr/bin with exclusion"
       global
       holdingdisk yes
       index yes
       priority high
       program "GNUTAR"
       exclude list "/usr/local/amanda-client/var/amanda/usr_excluded"
}

#full backup every 2 weeks
define dumptype half-month-tar {
       comment "14 days dump cycle"