Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda client stopped working

2005-05-20 12:04:26
Subject: Re: Amanda client stopped working
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:49:07 +0200

As usual follow up to myself, I'm used to talk to myself too.

Paul Bijnens wrote:

To verify, you can run a packetsnooper on both server, and client.
With tcpdump, as root:

tcpdump -X udp and port 10080

Verify that the packets that are send by the client are also received
by the server.

Without starting amanda, you can check the udp connection too with
netcat.  First disable the normal amandad started by (x)inetd to
free up the UDP port. Then:

On the client side:

  nc -vvv -u -l -p 10080

On the server side:

  nc -vvv theclient 10080

Type something on the client: you should see the letters on the other side. Wait some time, and type something on the other program, and
see if the letters appear on the opposite program again.
Some experiment with how long to wait before answering should give
you an idea if it is a timing issue with udp or not.