Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda client stopped working

2005-05-20 11:39:54
Subject: Re: Amanda client stopped working
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:23:30 +0200
Guy Dallaire wrote:

Could it be the etimeout ? I really dont think so, according to the
logs, the estimated takes  a lot less time than 600 seconds !

Remember a firewall also relies on a timeout value for udp packets.

Statefull firewalls (most modern firewalls are statefull) can relate
replies they receive to the requests they passed through, and let
those replies pass through too.  For TCP this is simple.  For UDP,
which is a stateless protocol, most firewalls just close the window
for a reply after some timeout.

Ufsdump is very fast in giving an estimate.  Gnutar is slower.
Could it be that the firewall times out UDP packets in less than 111
seconds?

To verify, you can run a packetsnooper on both server, and client.
With tcpdump, as root:

tcpdump -X udp and port 10080

Verify that the packets that are send by the client are also received
by the server.

Maybe the firewall does not log all denied packets.