Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda client stopped working

2005-05-20 11:39:55
Subject: Re: Amanda client stopped working
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:24:37 -0400
On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 11:04:34AM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:

> Also, the new config is using ufsdump instead of tar for the / file
> system of the host. I'll switch to tar later and try to reproduce the
> problem. Problem started occuring on this host when I switched the /
> file system from ufsdump to tar, then issued an amadmin force for the
> / filesystem. Next run, it hung and refused to work ever since...
>
> Could it be the etimeout ? I really dont think so, according to the
> logs, the estimated takes  a lot less time than 600 seconds !

dump programs should theoretically take much less time to do
estimates than tar.  Tar has to walk the file system directory
tree to discover which inodes to examine taking several steps
to do each inode.  That is the reason why DLE's with lots of
small files take so long.  OTOH, dump can look directly at
the inode table, determine if the inode is in use or not and
get the relevant info without ever touching a directory tree.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)