Amanda-Users

Re: Estimate phase failed for all disks: server not backed up...

2005-05-19 11:58:54
Subject: Re: Estimate phase failed for all disks: server not backed up...
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:43:47 +0200
Guy Dallaire wrote:
Here is what I have in my amanda log this morning:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  planner: ERROR Estimate timeout from sol
  sol        /data2 lev 0 FAILED [disk /data2, all estimate timed out]
  sol        /data1 lev 0 FAILED [disk /data1, all estimate timed out]
  sol        /disk1 lev 0 FAILED [disk /disk1, all estimate timed out]
  sol        / lev 0 FAILED [disk /, all estimate timed out]

What might be wrong here ? The first time I ran amanda, it backed up
this server without a problem.  The timeout parameter is at the
standard 300 secs. I bumped it up to 600 seconds for the next run but
I'm worried.

If it is the etimout parameter that need to be adjusted, you can find
some debug files on the client in /tmp/amanda.
Look for files names amandad.DATETIME.debug.  A few of them contain
the line "SERVICE sendsize":
   grep "SERVICE sendsize" amandad.*.debug
The last line looks like:

amandad: time 173.492: pid 22917 finish time Tue May 17 00:06:57 2005

which means that the estimate took 174 seconds.
At least now you know some reasonable value for the "etimeout" parameter.

If there were real errors during the estimate, making it fail,
you can probably find more details in the "sendsize.DATATIME.debug"
files.  And you can find the individual times for each filesystem too.