Amanda-Users

very interesting little problem.

2005-05-06 14:02:47
Subject: very interesting little problem.
From: Mike <miket AT silvercrk DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 17:41:28 +0000
I had an interesting amanda issue this morning.

Sysadmin #1 started amdump this morning to correct a failed dump from last night. Sysadmin #2 needed to restore a file, and started amrecover on the backup machine. Sysadmin #2 was unaware of the running backup process and used amtape to change slots. OOPS, both sysadmins got really weird errors, not quite descriptive of the actual problem (that you cant dump and restore at the same time). Maybe a check could be added to amtape (and maybe amrecover) to check for a running backup process. Even though I am using chg-disk changing tapes in the middle of a dump can not be a good thing.....