Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover: connection refused

2005-05-06 12:54:53
Subject: Re: amrecover: connection refused
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Lei Zhong <lzhong AT applimation DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 11:41:06 -0500
--On Friday, May 06, 2005 12:03:13 -0400 Lei Zhong <lzhong AT applimation DOT
com> wrote:

> I just installed Amanda server and client on a Fedora machine.  I ran
> amcheck and amdump locally.  They were both successful.  However, when I
> ran amrecover, I got the error "amrecover: cannot connect to <FQDN of my
> machine>: connection refused".  I checked /etc/host and hosts.allow.  I
> also put amandaidx and amidxtape under /etc/xinetd.d.  I tried solutions
> posted on FAQ of Amanda.  It still doesn't work.  Can somebody tell me
> what I should look into?  I appreciate your help.  Thank you, lei

Have you tried running amrecover with the -s and -t options to make sure
it tries to connect to the right server?

Also, after modifying your xinetd config, did you restart xinetd (I don't think
a kill -HUP works on xinetd, I believe you need to kill -USR2 it or restart it).

Did you set the group option in your xinetd config?

Do you have any firewall rules in place that might block the connection?

Is there anything in the system logs from xinetd (or your firewall, if you're
running one) that might give a clue on why it's not starting it?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673