Amanda-Users

Re: very interesting little problem.

2005-05-09 10:32:17
Subject: Re: very interesting little problem.
From: Peter Mueller <peter.mueller.ls AT elimpex DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 16:08:45 +0200
Hi!

Sysadmin #1 started amdump this morning to correct a failed dump from last night. Sysadmin #2 needed to restore a file, and started amrecover on the backup machine. Sysadmin #2 was unaware of the running backup process and used amtape to change slots. OOPS, both sysadmins got really weird errors, not quite descriptive of the actual problem (that you cant dump and restore at the same time). Maybe a check could be

Actually, I have two tapedrives (used with chg-multi) and I do sometimes
restore while dumping or flushing... It is possible to dump and restore at the same time, when not using the same tapedrive.

So there could or (should ?) be a "device lock"  ?

Maybe another entry to the Amanda-wish-list !?!

As my site is not that big, I didnt have such problems until now.
But I can easily imagine bigger installations and bigger
sysadmin groups where such problems may show up frequently.

Bye, Peter
WOTLmade