Amanda-Users

Re: Some questions about Amanda's emailing of backup reports

2005-03-03 11:53:21
Subject: Re: Some questions about Amanda's emailing of backup reports
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Matt Emmott <memmott AT gmail DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:44:47 -0600

--On Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:20:40 -0500 Matt Emmott <memmott AT gmail DOT
com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I can't find any documentation on this, but if I'm just missing
> something, please point me in the right direction, and I'm sorry for
> wasting everyone's time.
>
> 2 questions: First, where can I specify who amanda sends emails to,
> and who they appear to be from? After a backup it emails
> [email protected], and I'd like to change this.

Set the 'mailto' option in your config file.  The from is the
user that ran it.  I'm not sure if that is configurable.

If yours is going to [email protected], then you
have two problems.
 First, you should really create a separate user to run
Amanda (such as 'backup' or 'amanda') and not run it as
root.  That user (and group) need to be specified when
you run the configure script.
 Second, if your machine thinks it is localhost.localdomain
you will have all kinds of problems in the future.  It needs
a distinct hostname if you ever plan on backing up more machines
than just itself.

> Second, is there a way to have Amanda log its reports to a file
> instead of (or in addition to) emailing them?

Run amreport with the -f outputfile flag and it will go to a
file instead of email.  If you want both, run it both ways,
it just parses the log so it doesn't hurt to run it more than
once.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673