Amanda-Users

Re: amanda report

2005-02-26 16:40:17
Subject: Re: amanda report
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:26:44 -0500
On Saturday 26 February 2005 15:19, ddaasd wrote:
>So, I will have 16 tapes. How can I optimize their usage?
>You say I should keep 1 or 2 tapes to replace a defect one. So I
> have 15 working tapes.
>
>I would like not to backup in weekend because there is no activity.
>
>My Dell PowerVault has an auto-changer with 8 slots for 8 tapes.
>I would like to have 8 tapes offsite and to change them once a week.

Unless you are going to use a runtapes greater than 1, you will not
use 8 tapes a week when the runspercycle is only 5.  Thats up to you.
However, if in a given week, you only actually used 6 tapes, then
amanda will get upset if you take all 8 tapes offsite.

I don't recall what the capacity of a powervault tape is so you'll
have to judge that for yourself.  I think what you will wind up doing
though, is to remove for offsite storage, only those tapes that have
actually been used according to the emails it will send you, or from
the printouts if you have that enabled, something I'd also recommend.
Whether its 8 tapes if it runs to the second tape some nights AND you
have runtapes = 2, or 5 (the minimum it would use in 5 runs that
week), those are the ones that should go to offsite storage.

I detect a bit of do it my way urge in these messages, rather than
amanda's way, and while you may be able to force the issue by
constraining amanda, amanda will work much better in the long run if
you just let amanda do what amanda does best.  You will get more
efficiency in terms of tape use by just letting amanda 'do her
thing'.  It rather reminds me of an old saw about dogs and cats:

To a dog, you are the master.  To a cat, you are just staff.

Amanda is a cat.

>What would be your values for the most important parameters from
>amanda.conf (dumpcycle, runspercycle, runtapes etc).

I'd suggest:
dumpcycle 7, runspercycle 5, tapecycle 15.

This will, assuming 'runtapes' defaults to 1, give you backups 3
generations deep.  And one spare tape.  Also less paranoia about
losing it all. :-)

This will work unless you have enough data to require a second (or
more) tape per run.

>Thanks a lot,
>
>ddaas
>
>Gene Heskett wrote: