Amanda-Users

Re: amanda report

2005-02-26 15:26:35
Subject: Re: amanda report
From: ddaasd <ddaasd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:19:49 +0100
So, I will have 16 tapes. How can I optimize their usage?
You say I should keep 1 or 2 tapes to replace a defect one. So I have 15 working tapes.

I would like not to backup in weekend because there is no activity.

My Dell PowerVault has an auto-changer with 8 slots for 8 tapes.
I would like to have 8 tapes offsite and to change them once a week.

What would be your values for the most important parameters from amanda.conf (dumpcycle, runspercycle, runtapes etc).

Thanks a lot,

ddaas

Gene Heskett wrote:
I have 8 tapes. This is enaugh for a weeek. I've already ordered
another 8 tapes for one more week.

Good.  This will allow a much saner dumpcycle and tapecycle setting.

Suggestion. Don't put them all in the tapecycle, save back the last 1 or 2 so that if a tape should upchuck for some reason, you have an instant spare that only needs to be labeled with the next number in the sequence (don't re-use an old label, at least till that label is expired at the end of tapecycle by amanda) and placed in service.

[...]