Amanda-Users

Re: amanda report

2005-02-26 12:56:57
Subject: Re: amanda report
From: ddaasd <ddaasd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:44:29 +0100
Alex, thanks again. It's clearer now.

Best regards,
ddaas

Alexander Jolk wrote:
Hi,

actually, have you read `the chapter'? Go to www.amanda.org, it is linked from the front page. Many of your questions are answered in great detail over there.

1. planner: Incremental of server:/home/samba/pub bumped to level 2.

Just a note to you, amanda is doing a level 2 on this host.

2.  planner: Full dump of server:/var/lib promoted from 6 days ahead.

Another note to you, that DLE could have waited another 6 days before needing a full, but amanda thought it more efficient to schedule a full right now. You know that amanda tries hard to do a full backup at most every `dumpcycle' days, but this time, she found a full wouldn't need much less space than an incremental, so she went ahead for the full.

3. planner: Last full dump of server:/src on tape MyDaily overwritten in 2 runs.

Exactly what it says. You have only one full dump of this DLE, it's on tape `MyDaily' which is scheduled to be overwritten in 2 runs. Unless you add more tapes before that day. And I don't know whether she hasn't done a full on this run, or will do on her next.

Also I would like to know, how Amanda chooses when to make a full backup or an incremental one.

At least 1 full every dumpcycle days; in between, incrementals iff the space savings are big enough. See amanda.conf with the parameters bumpsize and friends.

Alex