Amanda-Users

Re: Switching to GNUTAR - RE: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory

2005-02-24 16:02:59
Subject: Re: Switching to GNUTAR - RE: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:58:19 -0500
On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:14:03PM -0500, Gil Naveh wrote:

> At this point it seems that the best way for us is to switch from ufsdump to
> gnutar.
> But before doing so - what will happen with the backups that I did so far?
> (I backed our data on a tape drive).

If you change the "program" in your dumptype from "DUMP" to "GNUTAR",
you will not be able to use amrecover to get your data back from the
earlier backups.  Newer backups yes, older ones no.  You could use
amrestore and the appropriate dump program or you could temporarily
reset the "program" parameter while you do your amrecover.

> Does ufsdump and gnutar stores the data the same way? (Does ufsdump level
> 0,1... is identical to gnutar level 0,1...) Or does it store the data on a
> different format?

Same way as far as dumplevels are concerned, but the storage format is
totally different.

> Does Gnutar is going to store the data twice or is it going to overwrite the
> data that was stored by ufsdump?

I don't get what you are asking by the "twice" question.  But amanda does not
overwrite things because you change a parameter.  Only when a tape gets reused
will the old dump data be overwritten.

> Any other concerns that I should keep in mind before switching from ufsdump
> to gnutar?

Unix systems keep 3 timestamps for each file.  Because a dump program avoids
accessing the files via the normal filesystem calls, these time stamps are
not altered by backing up a file.  Tar does work with normal filesystem calls.
At least one of the 3 timestames will be affected, either the last time the
file was read (shows with ls -la) or the last time the file properties were
changed (shows with ls -lc).

If you do choose to make the switch, I suggest you do it a few DLE's at a time.
Change their dumptypes and then uses amadmin to force a level 0 dump for that
DLE the next run.  A tar level 1 or 2 will not be much use with a ufsdump level
0.

Still can't get you delete superfluous stuff and to bottom or inline post huh?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)