Amanda-Users

Re: Switching to GNUTAR - RE: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory

2005-02-24 14:42:20
Subject: Re: Switching to GNUTAR - RE: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Gil Naveh <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:16:36 -0500
Gil,

I'm confused, why would suid be needed on ufsdump - isn't it run
beneith the amanda program (/usr/local/libexec/) rundump which is suid ?

For recovery, personally I use amrestore and pipe it to the required
utility so as long as I can figure that out (and its imbedded into the
first block on of the archive) its not a big deal.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:14:03PM -0500, Gil Naveh wrote:
> Thanks for the help,
>
> At this point it seems that the best way for us is to switch from ufsdump to
> gnutar.
> But before doing so - what will happen with the backups that I did so far?
> (I backed our data on a tape drive).
> Does ufsdump and gnutar stores the data the same way? (Does ufsdump level
> 0,1... is identical to gnutar level 0,1...) Or does it store the data on a
> different format?
> Does Gnutar is going to store the data twice or is it going to overwrite the
> data that was stored by ufsdump?
>
> Any other concerns that I should keep in mind before switching from ufsdump
> to gnutar?
>
> Thanks,
> gil

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org