Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory

2005-02-24 09:18:37
Subject: Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Gil Naveh <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:12:00 -0500
Gil,

I've managed a few strange things over the years, my errors or
compounded bad choices specific to my site...

Over tightened security on temp, normal protections are 1777.

Configure amanda with one username but modify amanda.conf and
choose a different runuser.

List of errors goes on but that is all I can think of prior to
my 2nd of coffee.

You are sure that the user you think is running amanda actually is ?
This is a server, client or client/server machine ?

I'm pretty sure you can run amdump as one user but configure
/etc/inetd.conf to run client as a different user. That is, I'm
sure you could but equally certain you don't want to.

How do you initiate amdump, crontab for amanda user ?

We have at least one system that runs it as bin but does it via
a root crontab entry that beings "su - bin", this does not simplify
debugging.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 09:04:49AM -0500, Gil Naveh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Amanda is successfully running on our Solaris Servers. But on Amanda's
> report (the E-mail it sends after amdump) I get the following STRANGE
> message:
>
> ? Unable to create temporary directory in any of the directories listed
> below:
> ?     /tmp/
> ?     /var/tmp/
> ?     /
>
> But when I manually accessed the server as Amanda user - I had no problem
> creating a folder under /tmp as well as /var/tmp/ !
>
> Any thoughts why am I getting this message?
> Additionally, can somebody tell me what files does Amada writes under /tmp
> folder?
>

> Many thanks,
> gil

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org