Amanda-Users

Re: SV: Problems restoring files with amrecover on my backup client!

2005-02-22 11:14:20
Subject: Re: SV: Problems restoring files with amrecover on my backup client!
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Thomas Løjmann Jørgensen <tlj AT netpointers DOT com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:05:53 +0100
Thomas Løjmann Jørgensen wrote:
How do I rewind the tape?

I used a pencil: find a hexagonal pencil, stick it in the left
whole, and now carefully rewind the tape by turning the pencil around.
When you get used to it, you can rewind a 125m tape in less than a day.

If you happen to use virtual tapes, then you need a virtual hexagonal
pencil.  Rewinding virtually does not take as much time, luckily.

There are devices where you put in the tape, and that device rewinds
the tape automatically. (I'm still amazed how small the pencils are
they use inside.)  Such devices do work on Linux too, and you have to
issue silly werds like: "who am i", or "mt -t /dev/st0 rewind".

Restoring with amrecover can be slow when needing to skip over all
the junk in the beginning of the tape, so I used to position the
tape just before the image to extract.  For that you need to "fast
skip forward" the tape.  With a pencil I could fast-skip-forward a
tape in less than 6 hours.  But I'm a veteran.  Practice helps here.

Another option is to tell Amanda to rewind the tape and to fast-skip-
forward the tape.  Amanda also needs silly commands like,
"vi amanda.conf", "jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj", "kkkk", "o",
"amrecover_do_fsf yes", "ZZ".  And that ZZ means you can now sleep
a little while Amanda does all the heavy rewinding and forward again.

Being good in rewinding and fast-skip-forward, I'm not as good in
verifying if I am doing this with the correct tape.  That's why Amanda
checks that too.  The only language Amanda understands are again
very cryptic, but that's how life is with Amanda: I always start with
"vi amanda.conf", "jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjkkko",
"amrecover_check_label yes", "ZZ".

Now, people say that all these words are explained in the man.   But,
Amanda being a woman, I tried to be polite and say "woman amanda",
but I'm completely ignored and get yelled at "command not found".
I gues that's what you got in reply too, isn't it?  Never mind.
Amanda still keeps doing her job as told.