Amanda-Users

Re: amdump: timeout

2005-02-20 16:31:04
Subject: Re: amdump: timeout
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:38:40 -0500
On Tuesday 08 February 2005 10:44, Wim Zwitser wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>amcheck detects no problem on the server and on client maxwell.
>But amdump stops after a timeout:
>
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  maxwell    /data/backup/Sat lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from
> maxwell]
>
>What can this be?

An indication that maxwell is too slow, and you need to increase
'etimeout' in the amanda.conf?  In which event, dtimeout may also
need an increase from the default 10 minutes (600 seconds).  Or that
the DLE's are too big and should be further divided into smaller
pieces maybe?  This last would shrink the estimate times per DLE.

Personally, I'd like to see, just because data grows forever, an
increase in these defaults, I think our "average system" has about
outgrown them.  Storage capacities of the commodity drives of today
have grown at 4x the clock speeds of the cpu managing them in the
last 5 years.

>Thank you,
>Wim Zwitser

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)