Amanda-Users

Re: amdump: timeout

2005-02-14 20:45:09
Subject: Re: amdump: timeout
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:26:15 -0500
On Monday 14 February 2005 17:19, Hull, Dave wrote:
>I have successfully installed and configured Amanda on RHEL servers
> and clients. I'm trying to install the client bits on a Solaris 8
> system. I've downloaded source and run configure with the correct
> options, but I'm getting the following error during configure:
>
>configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: present but cannot be compiled
>configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: check for missing prerequisite
> headers? configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: proceeding with the
> preprocessor's result configure: WARNING:     ##
> ------------------------------------ ## configure: WARNING:     ##
> ------------------------------------ ## checking for
> netinet/ip.h... yes
>
>I am able to run make and make install to completion without any
> problems.
>
>>>From the server I'm able to do an amcheck <config> Solaris_8_host
> which returns:
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>Client check: 1 host checked in 1.112 seconds, 0 problems found
>
>So far so good. When I kick off an amdump <config> Solaris_8_host, I
> can watch the amandad process start up on the Solaris_8_host, I see
> it running tar and the sendsize process, but the backup never
> begins.
>
>The bottom of the amandad file in /tmp/amanda shows the following:
>amandad: time 276.711: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: time 276.711: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
>amandad: time 286.712: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: time 286.712: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
>amandad: time 296.712: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: time 296.712: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
>amandad: time 306.712: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: time 306.712: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
>amandad: time 316.713: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
>amandad: time 316.713: waiting for ack: timeout, giving up!
>amandad: time 316.713: pid 14944 finish time Mon Feb 14 15:38:59
> 2005
>
>Given recent discussions here, I've increased the etimeout on the
> server to 400, but that hasn't made any difference.
>
>I suspect the errors during configure may have something to do with
> the problem, but I don't know for sure. Could it be that the
> networking piece of amanda on the client is braindead as a result
> of the problems with configure?
>
>Any advice?

I'm not a sol expert, thats others territory, but I suspect that if
there is a firewall (iptables or a lookalike) involved, you will have
to cut a hole in it to allow amanda to talk to her clients and vice
versa.  I think there are others here who can tell you generally what
to do though.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: