Amanda-Users

Re: Same problem .... Amanda runs out of tape

2005-02-14 11:23:16
Subject: Re: Same problem .... Amanda runs out of tape
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:18:36 -0500
On Monday 14 February 2005 10:32, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:23:59AM +0100, S.Krumme AT stadt-duisburg DOT de
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using a HP Drive 40/80 GB and I am experiencing the same
>> problem. The DLT has been changed twice. Backup was fine for two
>> days and today amanda was running again out of tape. Size of the
>> backup is 12,5 GB what should be no problem. Its exactly as
>> described the backup is running fine for some time, then SCSI
>> errors occur, and the backup runs out tape.
>> Im quite fed up with this matter at the moment, as my backup is
>> quites scramble up by this. I have been searching for the error
>> for some days, replaced tapes, replaced the DLT.
>>
>> Its frustrating.
>
>Generally we seem to respond to questions of the form
>"will this drive work with amanda?" with something
>just short of "they all do".
>
>Only regular exception I recall were ? onStream ?
>drives, do I have that one right?

Yes, although in an earlier discussion I believe we came to the
conclusion that it only applied to 2 of their drives.  The
repercussions of an ill conceived timeout in their firmware made it
very difficult to use with 'intelligent' backup programs that may
stop writing to the drive while they were prepareing the next file to
be written, seems to have taken OnStream out of the business, or
they've been sold or something.

>With three similar reports about this specific HP drive,
>it sounds like we should add another exception.

I'm thinking along those lines too Jon.  This actually is sounding
like a firmware problem in the drive, but as HP has been called onto
the scene by at least one poster here, and not fixed it, I think we
would be remiss not to consider that we have another OnStream fiasco
looming somewhat large.

If anyone from HP Storage Products is copying the mail here, how about
really taking a look at this problem?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: