Amanda-Users

How chg-multi selects which tape to backup to.....

2005-02-14 11:45:58
Subject: How chg-multi selects which tape to backup to.....
From: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:30:14 -0500
I am using chg-multi with two tape drives. Sometimes my backups only
require one tape, other times both. After the weekend, I use amtape
current to determine which tape drive is current and put the first of
the two tapes asked for by amcheck in it. It doesn't always seem,
however, that amanda is writing to the next tape in sequence in the
tapelist file. I would appreciate confirmation that "amtape DailySet
current" is intended to specify which tape drive amanda expects to
search for the next tape, as specified in tapelist.

example: tape 0001 and 0002 were in last night with 0001 in /dev/nst0
and 0002 in /dev/nst1. I had some stuff in the holding area from the
weekend, so I ran amflush to the first tape this morning. Now amanda
says:

The dumps were flushed to tape DailySet-0001.
The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to used are: DailySet-0002,
DailySet-0003.

"amcheck DailySet current" returns the following:
amtape: scanning current slot in tape-changer rack:
slot 1: chg-multi: slot is empty

I expected amanda to look in /dev/nst1 and see tape DailySet-0002. Do I
have to move tape DailySet-0002 to /dev/nst0?

Vicki