Amanda-Users

How do I control tapedrive compression?

2005-02-07 03:28:37
Subject: How do I control tapedrive compression?
From: Shai Ayal <shaia AT biocontrol.co DOT il>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:07:50 +0200
Hi all,

I understand that it is better to turn the tape drive's hardware compression
off and let Amanda know the real size of the tape and gzip do the compression.

So... How do I turn it off, or for that matter, how do I know if it's on or off?

My tape is a DLT 80/160 and I use the following for the tape size in
amanda.conf (from the amanda web site):

define tapetype DLTVS160 {
   comment "DLT VS160 tape drive"
   length 74529 mbytes         # 72.78 Gb
   filemark 584 kbytes
   speed 2203 kbytes           # 2.15 Mb/s
}

So my tape is configures with it's uncompressed length. The backups seem to be
working as expected, but how to make sure there is no hardware compression ?

Shai

--
Shai Ayal, Ph.D.
Head of Research