Amanda-Users

RE: client version varies from server

2005-02-07 16:50:57
Subject: RE: client version varies from server
From: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
To: don.carlton AT citadel DOT edu, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:46:20 -0600
The message indicates that the self-check portion of the amcheck command
timed out while communicating with either itself or the client.  Make sure
that xinetd configuration files are set up correctly to respond to the
Amanda commands sent over the Amanda UDP port.

1.  Check your /etc/services file on each machine to ensure that you have
the amanda UDP 10080 service defined in the file.

2.  Check your /etc/inetd.conf file or /etc/xinetd.d file(s) have the
appropriate entries for amanda (I use Amanda at work on a Tru64 UNIX system
and my home server is Fedora Core 3, your mileage may vary....)

3.  Check the contents of the /tmp/amanda debug files from the amcheck
operation to get more detailed explanations of why the operation is failing.

Best wishes,

Don

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey
Information Technology