Amanda-Users

AIX guru's please

2005-02-02 12:27:30
Subject: AIX guru's please
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:20:33 -0500
Kevin Alford started a thread about losing his amanda server
crashing, needing to rebuild it, not having indexes and
needing to do a restore.  The system details pre-crash were
Amanda 2.4.2p2 on AIX 5.1 ML6

When Kevin wasn't getting very far I started an email dialog
with him, but we have hit a stumbling point and could use
some input from people who know AIX better than I.

Working with the first dump file on the tape, it has the
following information in the header:

AMANDA: FILE 20041208 lightning /saa_dev lev 1 comp .gz program /usr/sbin/backup
To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
        dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 | /usr/bin/gzip -dc | usr/sbin/restore -f...
-

"lightning" is the amanda server, so this is a local backup.

I see the "dump" program is IBM ?proprietary? program called 'backup' !!
Is that program dump compatible?  From my long ago AIX experience I
recall that 'restore' is the appropriate recovery program for 'backup'.
But what arguments should be used, i.e. what might be needed for "..."?

I just love AIX!  Kevin extracted the dump file, minus the amanda header.
He then tried to use gzip -dc on it to create an uncompressed copy.
The copy was 3.5x larger, so obviously it had been gzip'ped.

However, when Kevin ran the "file" command on both the original and
on the uncompressed files, AIX's file command reported both as being:

        data or International text

Nothing about either being a gzip or a backup file.

Kevin sent me the leading part of the gunzipped file and on my Solaris
system, the file command reports it is a "ufsdump archive".

Does AIX even have the ability to work with UFS type file systems?
If so, are ufsdump/ufsrestore part of an add-on package?  Kevin
reports his rebuilt system has neither program.  May not matter.
Based on the amanda header, I suspect that backup/restore are the
appropriate pair of programs, not ufsdump/ufsrestore.

Do other AIX amanda installations use backup/restore?

If so, what are appropriate options for a restore from an backup
format file already on disk.  Maybe both for TOC and for extraction.
We can worry about from tape later.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)