Amanda-Users

RE: AIX guru's please

2005-02-04 06:34:54
Subject: RE: AIX guru's please
From: "Kevin Alford" <kevin.alford AT tmctechnologies DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 06:27:32 -0500
My problem has been resolved.  I would like to take the time to say
thank you to Jon LaBadie.
He was very persistent in getting me the help I needed to resolve my
problem.  This is a summary
Of my situation.  I had Amanda 2.4.2p2 on AIX 5.1 ML6 working fine, when
my system crashed and
Had to be rebuilt from scratch.  I work with developers, and they "MUST
GET SOME OF THERE CODE"
>From those tapes, but I didn't have the indexes anymore (I should of
gathered that information
During my mksysb backups).  Following instructions I received after
submitting my problem to this
User group, I pulled this information from tape:

AMANDA: FILE 20041208 lightning /saa_dev lev 1 comp .gz program
/usr/sbin/backup To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 | /usr/bin/gzip -dc | usr/sbin/restore -f...
-

After further correspondence with this group, and Jon LaBadie in
particular, I took the following steps to get my data back:

dd if=/dev/rmt1.1 of=saabackup bs=32k conv=sync  skip=1 (I had to pull
the data from tape 1st, AIX didn't like me running the whole command at
once)

gunzip < saabackup > unzippedsaabackup (I unzipped the file)

restore -xvf unzippedsaabackup

This restored all the data I needed.  Once again, thank you to everyone
that helped me during this time of need.

Kevin D. Alford