Amanda-Users

Re: AW: archiving tapes?!

2005-02-02 13:14:47
Subject: Re: AW: archiving tapes?!
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie AT rfa DOT org>
To: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq AT spacepants DOT org>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:56:34 -0500
On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 01:44:47PM +1100, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> >Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> >>what are some good options for long term archival storage?
> >Someone stole my crystal ball...
> Or did he mean "amanda.conf options" ?

I was inquiring of the collective experience here as to what medium is
currently most trusted for longterm archival storage of data.

My leaning is towards the spirit of a remark by Linus (possibly
inaccurately quoted here): "backups are for wimps. real men upload there
stuff to ftp and let the world mirror it."

I'm not thinking of this so much in the sense of letting anyone mirror
our data, but more in the sense of having redundant archives in
geographically diverse locations that are updated and accessed over the
net. I ask here about preferred mediums because I wonder if the way I'm
leaning is perhaps not wise.
--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Engineer I
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia