Amanda-Users

Re: amanda tar and star again

2005-01-27 23:55:15
Subject: Re: amanda tar and star again
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:42:58 -0500
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:54:34PM +0100, Claus Rosenberger wrote:
> hi,
>
> it would be nice if amanda will be packaged with a compiled in wrapper tar
> script instead of running tar from /usr/bin. perhaps it's possible to run
> /usr/lib/amanda/tar-wrapper wich is calling /usr/bin/tar again. that
> script could be changed then to call /usr/bin/star.

It would be nice if amanda did not use the gzip program but was
packaged with a wrapper so I could replace it with zip or bzip2.

It would be nice if amanda was packaged with a wrapper that called
dump so I could call a different dump.  Or maybe I could have it
do a snapshot first.

Yeah, nice, but those really are local customizations best done
locally - IMHO.

Related to your original post on the subject, it was suggested that
you see if star supported all the arguments and options that amanda
expected to see supported by gnutar and if it was compatible with
the formats and error messages that gnutar generates.  Were you
able to do that?  If star is not usable, a wrapper is of little value.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)