Amanda-Users

Re: archiving tapes?!

2005-01-27 12:32:12
Subject: Re: archiving tapes?!
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:23:46 -0500
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 06:08:01PM +0100, Sebastian Kösters wrote:
> if I want to restore a
> tape/backup older than the last one this fails. I?am only able to restore
> the last Backup from tape. I wanted to use the same amlabel for every Sunday
> because I don?t want the tapelist file become that long.

DON'T DON'T DON'T give all your tapes the same label!  This will
confuse Amanda, and probably you too.  Your problem with
restoring from old backups is merely one symptom of Amanda's
confusion.

A symptom of your confusion would be mounting the wrong tape (or
forgetting to change tapes), and thus overwriting a backup that
you wanted to keep.

There are some of Amanda's features that it can sometimes make
sense to work around (e.g. what I assume you're doing to force
full backups on Sundays).  The tape-labelling/tapelist mechanism
is NOT one of them; trying to subvert that is a REALLY bad idea.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent; that's why so
many cults and myths of the serpent exist, because it's hard to
represent the return of the sun by the coiling of a hippopotamus.
        - Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"