Amanda-Users

Re: amanda change ctime

2005-01-26 20:06:06
Subject: Re: amanda change ctime
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:56:46 -0500
On Wednesday 26 January 2005 19:27, Nina Pham wrote:
>The files we are backing up are resigned on more than 1 servers, and
> we want to store that archive on the same place. Therefore we need
> to mount.

Nina: Sorry, but you still need to drop the smbmount as samba itself
does not support ctime, it was never a supported attribute by M$.  So
it always looks as if the file is new since amanda gets nothing but
random garbage in that attribute slot when accessing it thru samba.

Install the amanda client portions on that machine and use it like it
was designed to work.  Amanda will backup the files in question if
told to, and it won't care how many times that file is shared to the
rest of your network.  Surely you aren't expecting to backup this set
of files by way of a samba mount on every machine that they are
shared too, that would seem to be a fair waste of tape resources IMO.

I'd assume the target box that is being samba shared is not a windows
box?  if it is, that makes things a bit more, uhh, difficult.

>Mike Delaney wrote:
>>On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 03:38:36PM -0800, Nina Pham wrote:
>>>I mount using smbmount
>>
>>Don't do that then.  Install Amanda on all of the systems that need
>> to be backed up, and let it work the way it was designed.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: