Amanda-Users

Re: Permission problems with amlabel.

2005-01-22 17:13:35
Subject: Re: Permission problems with amlabel.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:00:48 -0500
On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 09:58:42PM +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I have labeled the tapes before during my tests without problems. Now,
> when preparing amanda for production I relabeled the tapes (after having
> duly removed them from the repository by amrmtape) and changed the
> directory into which the tapelist would go. Then amanda wouldn't label
> the tapes. The command used was:
>
> [root@epo full]# su amanda -c "amlabel -f full full01"
> rewinding, reading label full01
> rewinding, writing label full01, checking labelamlabel: couldn't write
> tapelist: Permission denied
>
> Well, I thought it was permissions for the file tapelist and changed
> that to full permission, but still got the same error.
>
> I then saw syslog had the following message:
>
> Jan 22 21:13:39 epo su(pam_unix)[9298]: session opened for user amanda
> by erik(uid=0)
> Jan 22 21:13:39 epo su[9298]: Warning!  Could not relabel /dev/pts/1
> with user_u:object_r:devpts_t, not relabeling.Operation not permitted
> Jan 22 21:13:39 epo su(pam_unix)[9298]: session closed for user amanda
>
> I have no idea whatsoever what this is all about. I would be grateful if
> someone would explain to me what the heck it is and how I can satisfy
> amlabel?

Here is what I wrote to the list in Oct about
someone who seemed to have a similar problem:

== I forget the details now, and whether it was fixed, but someone
== reported that the tapelist file not only had to exist, but either
== had to be zero length (not even a blank line) or had to have a
== blank line. Sorry I forget which.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)