Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover not listing all files in backup.

2005-01-12 16:30:55
Subject: Re: amrecover not listing all files in backup.
From: "Dwight Tovey" <dwight AT dtovey DOT net>
To: "Frank Smith" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:19:02 -0700 (MST)
Frank Smith said:
> --On Tuesday, January 11, 2005 21:55:45 -0700 Dwight Tovey
> <dwight AT dtovey DOT net> wrote:

>> Is this problem with the index files the only problem?  In other words,
>> can I fix the index files by passing them through sed to remove that
>> random number and then expect every thing else to be OK?
>
> My faded memories here don't recall it being that simple.  All your data
> is on the tapes, but in some cases the directories themselves were saved
> as numbers.

Well, for the record, from my limited testing it did turn out to be that
simple.  In the appropriate index directory, I ran the following commands:
  gunzip -c 20050108_0.gz | sed -e 's~^[0-9]*/./~/~' > 20050108_0
  rm 20050108_0.gz
  gzip 20050108_0

Repeated for each index file that I found there.  Then after installing
the correct version of gnutar on my Solaris box, I ran amrecover.  As far
as I can tell, all my files are now listed, and I was able to select and
extract some of them.

> Best solution is to fix your tar and use amadmin to force a level 0 on
> the affected DLE's as soon as possible, and if you're lucky you won't
> ever need to recover from those old tapes before you make it through
> your tapecycle and overwrite them.  As you found out, it is possible
> to get files from them, it's just more work.

Looks like I'm OK anyway, but in this case it's not that important.  I'm
really still in evaluation/setup mode, so even if the tapes were totally
unusable I'm not out anything.  I've been using BRU to backup the Linux
box, which has been holding my critical data until now.  The Solaris box
is new enough that I don't have anything critical on there, but that will
be changing soon, which is why I have been looking to switch to Amanda
(don't think I can get BRU for Solaris any more).

The only thing I have left to figure out is the manual tape changer and I
think I should be ready to switch completely to Amanda.

Thanks again for the help.

    /dwight

--
Dwight N. Tovey