Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover not listing all files in backup.

2005-01-12 00:10:45
Subject: Re: amrecover not listing all files in backup.
From: "Dwight Tovey" <dwight AT dtovey DOT net>
To: "Frank Smith" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:55:45 -0700 (MST)
Frank Smith said:
> --On Tuesday, January 11, 2005 18:12:55 -0700 Dwight Tovey
> <dwight AT dtovey DOT net> wrote:
>

> Are you sure your index files are good?  Do the files look like:
> /somedir/file1
>
> or is it more like:
>
> 8945983969/somedir/file1
>

> If your index files contain the large random leading numbers, you are
> using a broken version of gnutar and amrecover won't work properly.
> I believe it must be greater than or equal to 1.13.19. although I
> recall problems with some of the 1.14 series as well.

Aha.  My Solaris system didn't have gnutar installed, so in the process of
installing the Amanda client I had downloaded the source from gnu.org (the
link on the Amanda installation notes pages wasn't responding at the
time).  I assumed (bad idea) that this would be the latest working
version, but it turns out that it was 1.13.  I've now downloaded the
1.13.25 source through the Amanda link, so I'll install that and see what
I end up with.

Is this problem with the index files the only problem?  In other words,
can I fix the index files by passing them through sed to remove that
random number and then expect every thing else to be OK?

Thanks for the response.

    /dwight

--
Dwight N. Tovey