Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover not listing all files in backup.

2005-01-11 23:12:03
Subject: Re: amrecover not listing all files in backup.
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: dwight AT dtovey DOT net, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:06:05 -0600
--On Tuesday, January 11, 2005 18:12:55 -0700 Dwight Tovey <dwight AT dtovey
DOT net> wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I've recently started using Amanda for my backup strategy, and I'm having
> a problem with amrecover.
>
> I set up my tape/index server on a RH 7.3 system with a 20G holding disk
> and a 4mm DAT drive (DDS-2).  Backing up the server itself seemed to be
> working, so I next added a client system running Solaris 9.  Again the
> backups seem to be working, so next I wanted to try a file recover.  On
> the Solaris client I launched amrecover, set the disk, and started
> browsing.  This is where I ran into a problem: it looks like some of the
> files are missing from the index.
>
> Back on the server, I took a look at the index file for that host/disk,
> and everything looks fine (it includes entries for the files that I
> noticed missing in amrecover).  Next I used amrestore to extract the
> GNUTAR file from the tape, and the files are in the tar file.  So it looks
> like the problem is only with amrecover.  Note that I see the same results
> if I run amrecover on either the client or the server.
>
> I guess this isn't really critical since I can get my missing files with
> amrestore if I have to, but I would like to figure out what is going on
> here.  Any ideas?

Are you sure your index files are good?  Do the files look like:
/somedir/file1

or is it more like:

8945983969/somedir/file1

If your index files contain the large random leading numbers, you are
using a broken version of gnutar and amrecover won't work properly.
I believe it must be greater than or equal to 1.13.19. although I
recall problems with some of the 1.14 series as well.

Frank