Amanda-Users

Re: Permission problems with Logical Volumes in Fedora Core 3

2004-12-29 15:20:48
Subject: Re: Permission problems with Logical Volumes in Fedora Core 3
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: mikep AT mikeathome DOT net
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:16:09 -0500
On Wednesday 29 December 2004 10:15, Michael J. Pawlowsky wrote:
>> I know nothing of LVM, but I think it should still work.  What
>> backup tool are you using (dump or tar)?  If tar, amanda runs it
>> via the setuid root 'runtar' wrapper, so tar will run as root.
>> amcheck may well fail, IIRC, but amdump should actually work.
>
>I'm using dump.  Basically it fails while trying to do the estimate.
>But if it can't do the estimate, I doubt it would be able to backup.

Warning, personal opinion.  Dump is a poor choice.  Either tar-1.13-19
or tar-1.13-25 has many more bells and whistles than dump has. The
majority of amanda features have been designed around using tar.

>But I really would like to fix the main problem which is that udev
> is not creating the permission of logical volumes correctly.

If amanda was built by the unpriviledged user (amanda is a good
choice) but installed by root, the perms should be just fine.  If
not, then file a bug against udev.  Greg K-H is actively working on
it.

>I did put a bug in bugzilla for Fedoara for this, but who knows when
>someone might get to it.

It really is not a fedora bug, but a udev problem, tell Greg on the
lkml.  udev is having some 'teething' pains it seems.  Just one of
the reasons I've only updated one machine to FC3.

>I know that this is not specific to amanda,but since amanda is the
> only app giving me problems with this, I thought others might have
> also had the same problems and found a solution to it.
>
>Regards,
>Mike

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: