Amanda-Users

Re: Automating the labeling of tapes

2004-12-29 15:16:28
Subject: Re: Automating the labeling of tapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Kevin Alford" <kevin.alford AT tmctechnologies DOT com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:06:14 -0500
On Wednesday 29 December 2004 08:00, Kevin Alford wrote:
>I need some help.  I am running Amanda 2.4.2p2 on AIX 5.2 ML6.  I
> have a Quantum ATL SuperLoader tape library with a DLT1 drive.
>
>It holds 15 tapes with another slot for my cleaning tape.  I would
> like to setup Amanda to automatically label my tapes, so that I can
> have a totally lights out backup environment.  I have not been able
> to install mtx on AIX 5.2.  Below is what my Amanda.conf looks like
> regarding my tape device.

If you can't get mtx to compile on the AIX boxes so you can use
chg-mtx, then you will have to do a bit of trickery in your scripts,
using (it is available isn't it?) mt, because the chg-scsi script is
a bit buggy, it never successfully issued a rewind cmd to the drive
here at my place.   There for a while Thomas Hepper at a .de address
was maintaining chg-scsi, but he hasn't checked in now in about 4
years, so that bug hasn't been fixed.  Maybe you could fix it?

What this boils down to is that before you run amcheck or amdump, the
tape must be rewound by some other means both before and after.  I
don't know of the number of times amcheck would missfire because of
that, and run all the way thru the rack looking for the right tape,
when, if it would just reload the existing already loaded tape, which
would fix the lack of rewind with only one io cycle on the robot
instead of running thru the whole rack, and stopping on the tape
before, making you run amcheck again just to load the right tape.  It
appears amdump _can_ do a rewind after checking the label, but it
must be handed a rewound tape up front as it will fail to verify the
label if its left sitting at block one from the successfull amcheck
run.

Good luck.

>define tapetype SuperDLT1 {
>    comment "Quantum SuperDLT1"
>    length 96868 mbytes
>    filemark 8 kbytes           # don't know a better value
>    speed 9142 kbytes           # dito
>}
>
>I am configuring the chg-scsi script to support my environment.  I
>believe that is the right changer script for me to use, but welcome
> any advice.

See above, build mtx on the AIX boxes and use chg-mtx.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: