Amanda-Users

Re: Permission problems with Logical Volumes in Fedora Core 3

2004-12-29 10:35:25
Subject: Re: Permission problems with Logical Volumes in Fedora Core 3
From: "Michael J. Pawlowsky" <mikep AT mikeathome DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:15:45 -0500

I know nothing of LVM, but I think it should still work. What backup tool are you using (dump or tar)? If tar, amanda runs it via the setuid root 'runtar' wrapper, so tar will run as root. amcheck may well fail, IIRC, but amdump should actually work.

I'm using dump.  Basically it fails while trying to do the estimate.
But if it can't do the estimate, I doubt it would be able to backup.

But I really would like to fix the main problem which is that udev is not creating the permission of logical volumes correctly.

I did put a bug in bugzilla for Fedoara for this, but who knows when someone might get to it.

I know that this is not specific to amanda,but since amanda is the only app giving me problems with this, I thought others might have also had the same problems and found a solution to it.

Regards,
Mike