Amanda-Users

Re: Automating the labeling of tapes

2004-12-29 08:35:41
Subject: Re: Automating the labeling of tapes
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Kevin Alford <kevin.alford AT tmctechnologies DOT com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:30:08 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 at 8:00am, Kevin Alford wrote

> I need some help.  I am running Amanda 2.4.2p2 on AIX 5.2 ML6.  I have a
> Quantum ATL SuperLoader tape library with a DLT1 drive.

Why such an old version?  There are lots of nifty features in more recent
ones.

> It holds 15 tapes with another slot for my cleaning tape.  I would like
> to setup Amanda to automatically label my tapes, so that I can have a
> totally lights out backup environment.  I have not been able to install

You only need to label tapes once.  So automating it isn't really all that
great a need.

> mtx on AIX 5.2.  Below is what my Amanda.conf looks like regarding my
> tape device.
>
> define tapetype SuperDLT1 {
>
>     comment "Quantum SuperDLT1"
>
>     length 96868 mbytes
>
>     filemark 8 kbytes           # don't know a better value
>
>     speed 9142 kbytes           # dito
>
> }

AFAIK amanda doesn't use either filemark or speed, so don't worry about
them too much.  The length seems a bit low, though -- isn't SDLT 110GB
native?  That should translate to ~104000 MiB.  Did you run tapetype
yourself or grab that from somewhere?  If the former, make sure you have
hardware compression disabled.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering