Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda backups suddenly slowed down

2004-12-13 10:54:58
Subject: Re: Amanda backups suddenly slowed down
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:46:17 -0500
On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 10:55:22AM -0000, Peter Johnston wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been using amanda for some time now, generally with great success.
> However, a couple of weeks ago the backups started taking much, much longer
> to run.  To give you an idea, a typical run time was between 3 and 4 hours.
> It's now taking anywhere between 15 and 25 hours!
>
> Obviously the question 'What happened two weeks ago that changed this?'
> appears.  I can't find an answer to that.  I added an extra machine to the
>
> If anyone can help me figure out what has gone wrong then that would be
> great!

My first check would be what phase of the backup is taking so long;
estimate/planning, dumping, taping?  Compare old reports with current ones.

A reasonable candidate is your tape drive going from streaming mode to
non-streaming because of the holding disk no longer being used.  Is that
file system now full?

Can you recover your amanda config directory from an earlier time (to an
empty directory, not overwriting the current one) and check the various
config files with dircmp and/or diff.  Maybe a change you forgot.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)