Amanda-Users

Amanda backups suddenly slowed down

2004-12-13 06:16:28
Subject: Amanda backups suddenly slowed down
From: "Peter Johnston" <peter.johnston AT edina.co DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:55:22 -0000
Hi

I've been using amanda for some time now, generally with great success.
However, a couple of weeks ago the backups started taking much, much longer
to run.  To give you an idea, a typical run time was between 3 and 4 hours.
It's now taking anywhere between 15 and 25 hours!

Obviously the question 'What happened two weeks ago that changed this?'
appears.  I can't find an answer to that.  I added an extra machine to the
backup set about then, but that machine seems to be backing up in a
perfectly reasonable time as far as I can see.  The switches that all the
machines involved are attached to are monitored by MRTG and it looks from
the graphs that barely any bandwidth is being used - the amanda server is
plugged into a gigabit switch and during the backup only about 1-6Mb are
being used.

The amanda server is running on Fedora Core 2, with clients on Solaris 7 and
8, AIX and RedHat Linux 6 (yes ancient I know!).  The server is generally
updated using yum from Fedora's repository, so any update from there is
probably applied.  I'm running amanda 2.4.4p4 on the server.

If anyone can help me figure out what has gone wrong then that would be
great!

Regards,
Peter Johnston

--
Peter Johnston
Systems Consultant                      Tel: 0131 624 6624