Amanda-Users

amanda tape use strategy

2004-12-07 12:48:15
Subject: amanda tape use strategy
From: Chris Loken <cloken AT cita.utoronto DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:35:29 -0500

Apologies if this has come up before. Couldn't find anything relevant. I'm talking about level 0 dumps (not incrementals). Using ait-3 tapes, GNUTAR (not linux "dump"), a tape library, 104GB holding disk and setting runtapes greater than 1 (I need to dump several tapes-worth of data). NO software or hardware compression. amanda-2.4.4p1-0.3E

Amanda works great for me. These are efficiency questions - not critical problems.

a) When backing-up multiple disks from a single client, amanda seems to dump and then write them to tape in order of increasing size. This can be inefficient. e.g. if you have filesystems that are 40GB, 40GB, 55GB and 55GB and write to 100GB tapes, amanda will use 3 tapes when the backup would fit on 2 tapes.

b) amanda doesn't seem to know that it will run out of space on a tape. E.g. if I have two 65GB filesystems to dump to a 100GB tape, amanda will write the first and then start writing the second one and keep going until it hits the end of tape. It then puts in the next tape and rewrites which is great but a lot of time was wasted writing a file which wasn't going to fit on the first tape. I'm running amtapetype for myself right now but have been using a tape entry from the amanda faq that sets "length 108890 mbytes" (but there are two different ones for the same drive and tape; Sony SDX-700C and AIT-3).

So, my questions are 1) is what I've described above true (seems to be for me) and 2) is there anything I can do (easily) to change this behaviour?

   Thanks,

     Chris