Amanda-Users

Re: amanda tape use strategy

2004-12-07 16:47:58
Subject: Re: amanda tape use strategy
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:36:56 -0600
--On Tuesday, December 07, 2004 14:13:43 -0500 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT
com> wrote:

> Note, this does not affect the order of dumping.  Other parameters
> do that.  It only affects which, of the already completed dumps,
> amanda will choose to tape next.  It will not wait around for
> one that fits.

How difficult would it be to implement a 'best fit' strategy?
One that would collect all the dumps to holdingdisk and then
fit them onto the tapes, the functional equivalent of running
amdump without a tape and then running amflush.  I realize
that it would require holdingdisk size to be greater than the
total size of the backup, but it would allow for the most
efficient use of tape.
  Also, does Amanda always try to write another dump image
to tape until it hits EOT, even if the size of the dump is
greater than the amount of remaining tape?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673