Amanda-Users

Re: amanda tape use strategy

2004-12-07 17:12:41
Subject: Re: amanda tape use strategy
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:05:33 -0500
On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 03:36:56PM -0600, Frank Smith wrote:
> --On Tuesday, December 07, 2004 14:13:43 -0500 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT
> com> wrote:
> >
> > Note, this does not affect the order of dumping.  Other parameters
> > do that.  It only affects which, of the already completed dumps,
> > amanda will choose to tape next.  It will not wait around for
> > one that fits.
>
> How difficult would it be to implement a 'best fit' strategy?
> One that would collect all the dumps to holdingdisk and then
> fit them onto the tapes, the functional equivalent of running
> amdump without a tape and then running amflush.  I realize
> that it would require holdingdisk size to be greater than the
> total size of the backup, but it would allow for the most
> efficient use of tape.

I seem to recall that amanda had some way to say "only dump
this DLE at such and such a time".  If dumper can have delays,
maybe taper can too.  Then maybe you could say don't start
taping until ...  That way a number of DLEs would have been
completed and the largest fit taperalgo would have several
to choose from.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)