Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with HP SureStore VS80e (DLT1)

2004-11-25 12:13:29
Subject: Re: Problems with HP SureStore VS80e (DLT1)
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: Dave Ewart <Dave.Ewart AT cancer.org DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:10:08 +0000

Dave Ewart wrote:

On Thursday, 25.11.2004 at 13:57 +0000, Martin Hepworth wrote:

The situation quickly became worse and at some point the tape drive
refused to eject the tape cartridge. We called the HP support and
they replaced the drive without problems. With the new drive, the
nightly backup again started to work fine.

After about 2 weeks, the same errors occured again. The nightly
backup runs began to fail up to the point where the drive refused to
eject the cartridge. So, HP replaced the drive again and we started
to use our third drive in about 7 months of usage.

Interesting.  Same thing happened to us with a Tandberg DLT1 vs80
drive, which I believe is fundamentally the same as the HP model.

Same symptoms as the above, but we've only had one 'dead' drive.  I
assumed it was Just One Of Those Things.  The first drive lasted for
about 12 months and the second has been going fine for about 10
months so far.

Dave.

- -- Dave Ewart

And here - seems to be heat related. Of the drives that have died (2xDLT1's and 1x VS80 all HP), have died on hot days in not temp controlled rooms.

Hmmm - curious.  My notes show that our drive keeled over in May (not 10
months ago, as I said above), although it did survive the hot summer of
2003 :-)

Perhaps I should move ours into the air-conditioned room ...

Dave.
- --

Dave

May 10 WAS the summer :-)

More seriously England was thundery according to BBC, but can't find a specific diary for Oxford......

Anyway just noticed they tended to die on hot days rather than cool ones..not had any troubles since all in rooms where temp <25c and fairly constant.

only a few months to go b4 all you kit gets a nice home anyway...temp controlled, smooth ac power .... !

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.