Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with HP SureStore VS80e (DLT1)

2004-11-25 13:10:31
Subject: Re: Problems with HP SureStore VS80e (DLT1)
From: Andreas Haumer <andreas AT xss.co DOT at>
To: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:07:02 +0100

Hi!

Many thanks for your reports!
It's interesting to see that those drives seem to die quite often.
I didn't expect that!

Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Dave Ewart wrote:

[...]
>> Hmmm - curious.  My notes show that our drive keeled over in May (not 10
>> months ago, as I said above), although it did survive the hot summer of
>> 2003 :-)
>>
>> Perhaps I should move ours into the air-conditioned room ...
>>
>> Dave.
>> - --
>

> Dave
>
> May 10 WAS the summer :-)
>
> More seriously England was thundery according to BBC, but can't find a
> specific diary for Oxford......
>
> Anyway just noticed they tended to die on hot days rather than cool
> ones..not had any troubles since all in rooms where temp <25c and fairly
> constant.

Just noticed that both of you guys live in England.
Now I don't know what your definition of "summer" is... ;-)

I don't think that temperature is a problem in our case.
While the office where the drive is located indeed does
not have air-condition, it's quite cool in general
(typical Viennese late 19th century building).

Anyway, in the afternoon I had a call with a HP support
guy. He asked me to have the HP "ltt" software run against
the drive to get more diagnostics. But alas it seems the
drive is not responsive anymore. Replacement time, again...

The HP support guy also told me, that the active SCSI bus
termination on the VS80e drives is very sensitive and is
one of the main reasons those drives die. Thunderstorms
and electrical induction on the SCSI bus might have negative
influence. I'm not sure if the symptoms I see support this
theory, though.

- - andreas

- --
Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:andreas AT xss.co DOT at
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71