Amanda-Users

Re: tuning amanda

2004-11-17 09:59:23
Subject: Re: tuning amanda
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Kai Zimmer <kai AT zimmer DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:56:16 +0100
Kai Zimmer wrote:
> My servers CPU is slower than most of my clients. But at the moment i only
> use hardware compression on the tape. Should i change it to server or client
> compression?

>From your amplot, it doesn't seem as if you're network bound, so sending
uncompressed data over the wire shouldn't be a problem; otherwise I'd
have recommended you try `compress client'.  You might still want to
compress on either side, client or server, in order to cut down on
holding disk usage.  In any case, make sure you don't mix hardware and
software (client or server) compression.  (Unless you have an LTO drive,
which does cope nicely with already-compressed data.)  This point has
been discussed several times already on the list, you'll find all the
details in the archives.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29